Friday, August 13, 2010

Jeremiah 1-6

As we dive into Jeremiah, I thought our Bible gave a great synopsis as to where we are and where we are going:
"The people of Jerusalem used to love God with the love of a new bride for her husband; now even the priests, lawmakers, leaders and prophets have begin to worship Baal and other false gods.  God has warned the people for 23 years, and now his patience is coming to an end.  Judah is about to go into exile for 70 years.  They had broken God's covenant, and now they would suffer the consequences.
Even in the prediction of doom, there is hope.  The time of exile will not last forever.  God's people will be restored.  God's prophet, Jeremiah, is to buy a field to emphasize that point.  But notice how Jeremiah and his message were received.  Yet Jeremiah is obedient to God, and God is faithful to his promises."

Jeremiah 1:5   Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart; I appointed you as a prophet to the nations.
What a great way to start this chapter.  I love that verse.  It really reiterates the fact that God made each one of us for His purpose and we are all His prophets. 
The beginning of this book tells of a conversation between God and Jeremiah.  Jeremiah believes that he is not able to spread God's word because he is only a child.  God tells him he is able and should follow His commands, stating "Do not be afraid of them, for I am with you and will rescue you." (Jeremiah 1:8)  God continues to explain the way the nations of Israel, Judah, and Jerusalem have gone against Him and worshipped false gods.  He makes a lot of comparisons between His relationship with these people to a relationship between a couple that is divorcing, or a bride that no longer loves her husband.  We also learn that we should consider God as our husband and love Him in the way a bride loves her earthly husband. 
The Lord offers His mercy to the people of Israel if they are to admit their wrongdoings and lets them know that He will not be angry forever.  To the people of Judah and Jerusalem, the Lord brings great disaster among all the people. 
This part I find to be a bit confusing.  I don't understand exactly why God has chosen to grant mercy to the people of Israel, but not to the people of Judah or Jerusalem.  Hopefully, this becomes more clear in future readings.  -Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment