Thursday, August 19, 2010

Jeremiah 6-30

Okay...I know that is a long stretch and maybe Julie will want to break it down a little more but I want to catch this blog up.  Summer was a "buzz kill" for this blog.  I'm a little behind on my reading (about 6 days) but I am farther behind on blogging.  When I had all 3 kids here sitting down at the computer and being able to really THINK was not something I could easily accomplish.  So....kids are back in school and I am ready to get back to this blog!

We are reading though the prophesies of Jeremiah.  In the first 30 or so chapters of Jeremiah God is giving out instruction to his people.  He is warning them that punishment is coming for their evil ways.  He tells them that their land will be destroyed and the people will die.  For many he gives them an opportunity to flee and change their lives.  Some listen and many ignore.

"Stand at the crossroads and look;
ask for the ancient paths,
ask where the good way is, and walk in it,
and you will find rest for your souls"
But you said, 'We will not walk in it.'"
Jeremiah 6:16

"Let not the wise man boast of his wisdom
 or the strong man boast of his strength
or the rich man boast of his riches,
but let him who boasts boast about this:
that he understands and knows me,
that I am the Lord, who exercises kindness,
justice and righteousness on earth
for in these I delight," declares the Lord.
Jeremiah 9:23-24


I know, O Lord, that a man's life is not his own;
it is not for man to direct his steps.
Jeremiah 10:23

The Lord said to me, "Proclaim all these words in the towns of Judah and in the street s of Jerusalem:  'Listen to the terms of this covenant and follow the.  From the time I brought your forefathers up from Egypt until today,  warned them again and again, saying, "Obey me."  But they did not listen or pay attention."  Jeremiah 11:6-7

This is what the Lord says: "In the same way I will ruin the pride of Judah and the great pride of Jerusalem.  These wicked people, who refuse to listen to my words, who follow the stubbornness of their hearts and go after other gods to serve and worship them, will be like this belt-completely useless!  For as a belt is bound around a man's waist, so I bound the whole house of Israel and the whole house of Judah to me,'declares the Lord, 'to be my people for my renown and praise and honor.  But they have not listened"  Jeremiah 13:9-11

See how each of you is following the stubbornness of evil heart instead of obeying me.  Jeremiah 16:12

Cursed is the one who trust in man,
 who depends on flesh for his strength
 and whole heart turns away from the Lord.
But blessed is the man who trust in the Lord,
whole confidence is in him.
He will be like a tree planted by the water
that sends out its roots by the stream.
It does not fear when heat comes;
its leaves are always green.
It has no worries in a year of drought
and never fails to bear fruit."
Jeremiah 17:5 and Jeremiah 17:7-8

"O house of Israel, can I not o with you as this potter does?" declares the Lord.
Like clay in the hand of the potter, so are you in my hand, O house of Israel.
Jeremiah 18:6

"Am I only a God nearby," declares the Lord,
"and not a God far away?
Can anyone hide in secret places so that I cannot see him?"
Jeremiah 23:23-24

Okay.....so some people followed God's warning and left their homeland.  These people believed in God and wanted to obey.  Those that did not want to obey suffered.



Then the word of the Lord came to me:  "This is what the lord, the God of Israel, says:  'Like these good figs, I regard as good the exiles from Judah, whom I sent away from this place to the land of the Babylonians.  My eyes will watch over them for their good, and I will bring them back to their land.  I will build them up and not tear them down; I will plant them and not uproot them.  I will give them a heart to know me, and I am the lord.  They will be my people, and I will be their God, for they will return to me with all their heart.  Jeremiah 24:4-7

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the lord, "plans to prosper you and not to hard you, plans to give you hope and a future.  Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you.  You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.  I will be found by you," declares the Lord.  Jeremiah 29:11-14 


Slowly catching up.... -nic

No comments:

Post a Comment