Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Proverbs

Today I started Proverbs.  In the intro to Proverbs the author of my devotional bible wrote, "God has something to say about every aspect of your life; seek his wisdom in the decisions you must make each day." 

Today (Ch. 1-7) I read about wisdom, rejecting enticement, folly, and adultery.  Here is where my pencil came in handy....

Proverbs 3:5-6 is a verse that is already popular in my household.  If you asked my children about that verse they would be able to repeat it to you from the NIV Bible.  It is a verse that I repeated frequently during some hard times this last year. 

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight. 

Proverbs 4:27-28 stuck with me today. 
Do not withhold good from those who deserve it, when it is in your power to act.  Do not say to your neighbor, "Come back later; I'll give it tomorrow"- when you now have it with you.

Another section that stuck me today was Proverbs 6:16-19. 
There are six things the Lord hates, seven that are detestable to him:
haughty eyes,
a lying tongue,
hands that shed innocent blood,
a heart that devises wicked schemes,
feet that are quick to rush into evil,
a false witness who pours out lies
and a man who stirs up dissension among brothers.
I looked up the word haughty and dissension.  Haughty means scornfully proud and dissension means disagreement.
I would love to say that I am not guilty of anything on that list.  But, the last one is sticking with me.  A man who stirs up disagreement among brothers.  GUILTY, GUILTY, GUILTY!  This is something that is detestable to the Lord.  A hard pill for me to swallow, and something I need to pray about.  -nic

No comments:

Post a Comment