Thursday, March 4, 2010

Joshua 1-4

Be strong and courageous.  Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go. Joshua 1:9

Since Nicole is out of town I get the privelage of writting this summary today.  Kind of like Joshua stepping in for Moses.  lol  But seriously, I can imagine Joshua being somewhat concerned of his abilities when he is following such a great leader like Moses.  After all even Moses who was a great leader made mistakes.  But God had promised Joshua "As I was with Moses, so I will be with you" v5.  God reminds Joshua to keep firmly to the law and meditate on it day and night.  God understood his fears and strengthens him with these words. 

In my life I wonder how many times God has set a path for me and I have veered off, taking control of my destination.  Taking the time to study the bible each day reminds us to keep his work in our minds, hearts and lives.  We may not be crossing into the promised land but we are living in the midst of sorrow, pain, suffering and evil and He encourages us with these words as well.  What more do we need than to have God on our side. 

In chapter two Joshua sends his two spies to go ahead and scope out the land.  I can see the movie trailer now can't you?  They sneak into the enemy city and find refuge with a prostitute of all people.  But God has softened her heart and prepared the way for them, as He promised.  God did not determine Rahab as unacceptable or useless because her heart at one time was dark.  We all should be reminded by this that not one single person is "Good" enough.  Interestingly we find out later in the bible that Jesus is a descendant of Rahab.

The last two chapters continue to show that God goes before them and walks with them on their journey.  Joshua continues to follow the laws the Lord has provided and the Lord actually exalts him for his faith.  WOW!  God exalts us too, sometimes we can recognize it and sometimes our heads are too thick to let it sink in.  Sooooo...

Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go. Joshua 1:9
Lori

No comments:

Post a Comment