Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Deuteronomy 33-34

I can't believe we are to the end of Deuteronomy already.  We just seem to be flying through these books!
Today, Moses gives a blessing to the Israelites.  He speaks of God, Judah, Levi, Benjamin, Joseph, Zebuun, Gad, Dan, Naphatali, and Asher.  He then climbed up Mount Nebo and looked out onto all of the land.  He died there in Moab and he was buried there.  Apparently no one knows to this day where Moses' grave site is.  Joshua took over and began to rule over the Israelites. 
An interesting thought - I was reading a daily devotion that related to this reading.  I know that Nicole and I have talked a lot about how Moses did so much for God.  He made one little mistake and God said he wouldn't get to cross over into the promised land that he led the Israelites to.  We keep wondering why God wouldn't just make one little exception.  Even after Moses found out he wouldn't get to cross over, he continued to do as the Lord commanded and walk in His ways.  The devotion from today made it sound like Moses was granted an unbelievable blessing by still being allowed to see the promised land from atop the mountain.  I suppose that is a more positive way to look at it.  At first, I considered it to be a bit of a tease, but in all reality, it was extremely generous of God to allow Moses to see the land.  The Lord didn't have to do that.  Moses did work so hard to get the Israelites there, after all. 
And tomorrow...we'll dive right in to Joshua!

No comments:

Post a Comment