How often have we done that...thought something wasn't fair and decided to take matters into our own hands and do what we thought was right? I know I've thought that quite a few times with my own kids. Isaac told his firstborn, Esau, to go out and hunt some food for him, prepare him a feast, and he will bless him immensely. But, mama Rebekah didn't think that was fair. What about Esau's twin brother, Jacob? Why shouldn't he be just as blessed. So she sent Jacob out to do the same, disguised him, and sent him in to Isaac. Isaac blessed Jacob, thinking it was Esau. When Esau came in for his blessing, the truth came out. Rebekah not only betrayed Isaac, but also Esau, and more importantly, God. She was told from the beginning that Jacob would be a servant to his brother, Esau. God had made these plans for them. But, as a mother, she didn't think that was fair. Both of her sons should be equally blessed. Sometimes things don't work out that way. They aren't meant to. That's a hard thing to grasp as a mother. Because Rebekah took matters into her own hands, she caused a rift between her sons and problems between she and her husband, I assume. I did find it interesting that Isaac didn't seem to be upset with Jacob at all for pretending to be Esau. He stuck with the initial blessing he gave Jacob and sent him on his way to find a wife. Esau heard this news and went off to do the same in order to please his father.
So, as Jacob is travelling, he lays down for some rest and has a dream. God comes to him and says "I am with you and will watch over you wherever you go, and I will bring you back to this land. I will not leave you until I have done what I have promised you." (Gen. 28:15) I love that verse! It is so comforting to know how true that is. God is always with us, will never leave us, and isn't done with us yet.
My final thought...At the end of today's reading, Jacob vows that all he is given, he will give God a tenth. I assume this is the first mention of titheing??? Julie
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment