Thursday, January 7, 2010

Day 7: Genesis 24-25

I love the story of Isaac's marriage to Rebekah.  I love that the servant's prayers were answered while waiting for the right female.  I think it's a wonderful testament to God's faithfulness in finding us the right spouse.  Although I am so incredibly thankful that I picked the right guy, I wish I would have understood at a young age the importance of waiting for God to bring the right person into my life.  I would have saved myself a lot of unnecessary heartache.  I would have entered my marriage to Ben without baggage.

The other story in today's reading made me laugh.  (Not out loud....just in my head.)  It's the story of Esau giving up his birthright to Jacob.  I have this whole picture in my head of exactly how it happened.  Picture two teenage boys.  One comes in from playing outside with his friends.  He thinks he is starving and wants a little of what his brother is eating/making.  They fight back and forth....and then the brother with the food uses it as leverage to get what he wants.  The hungry brother is like "whatever...give me the food!"  He wasn't even thinking about what he promised to give up.  My girls make deals all of the time.  So many things in their lives are easy come, easy go.  I'm sure at his hungry moment Esau thought giving up his birthright was like telling Jacob he would make his bed for a week.  We will see how much he regrets that deal.  nic

1 comment:

  1. I love the first reading too. How faithful everyone is that this is without question something that God has put before them. Makes me think that I should stop and listen more. That is exactly how I saw that second reading. It's also interesting to hear that mom bonded with one son while dad bonded with the other. Made myself stop reading. I already know what happens, so sad.

    ReplyDelete