Today we started the book of Leviticus. In my bible there is a small excerpt to read to start off each book. Todays said, "As you read this book, some of it may seem dull and boring." YIKES....that is hardly what I wanted to hear. It then goes on to say, "But think about how holy God is, how he wants you to serve him in every part of your life and in all you do." So.....starting off I realized that I may really have to search each day to make sure I am getting the message that God wants me to get.
Day 1: Okay, I don't get it. Much of todays reading was about burnt offering. I guess I am already a little stumped b/c I don't get it. I don't see why all of these good animals need to die. God is not eating the meat that is given to him. It just seems to me that they are just going to be burying or piling up lots of charred bones, fur, and remains. I get that the aroma is pleasing....but I'm missing the significance of it. Wouldn't it be better to offer something useful?
What I did take away from today's reading: At dinner the kids often ask me what my reading was about that day. Each day I have tried to pull out a little message for them. Today as I was ready a lightbulb went off when I read Leviticus 4:27. It was discussing sin offering. It says, "If a member of the community sins unintentionally and does what is forbidden in any of the Lord's commands, he is guilty." This hit home with me. How many times do we sin against others and it was not on purpose. We didn't purposely set out to hurt them or to shame them. Does that make us less guilty b/c it was not intentional? Nope! I think it's going to be a great conversation for the dinner table tonight! -nic
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment