I was discouraged yesterday when I lost a blog that I spent a substantial amount of time preparing. I wanted to cry.....but I didn't. (Yippee for my hormones being back in check!) After thinking about it last night I realized that the content of the blog is something that needs to be reviewed again and again. So, I am now excited to be blogging about this again.....but I will make sure to save often this time :)
My walk through the Gospels have been nothing but a blessing. I have not been blogging b/c I have been so overwhelmed with the content. It is not practical to type up all that I have underlined. So, I am going to attempt to cover the verses that I want to make sure I always keep very close to my heart.
So what I know so far: Jesus was an amazing man who had an overwhelming popular (and unpopular) life. He was constantly being followed, watched, judged and touched. His time alone was intentional but seemed like he did not have much of it. He was tired (after all....he was a man) but his sleep was limited. He became frustrated with man's little faith....yet never turned to sin. He accepted his fate whole hearted. He is a King and a Savior. He is so inspiring!
Son of Man did not come to be served but to serve and give his life as a ransom for many. Matthew 20:28
Jesus speaks about going to Heaven: "For many are invited, but few are chosen " Matthew 22:14
Make every effort to enter through the narrow door, because many, I tell you, will try to enter and will not be able to. Luke 13:24
This is a topic that will come up many times in the Gospels. It totally breaks my old theory that almost everyone goes to Heaven. I used to think if you were a good person and you believed....you would be welcomed into Heaven. I no longer believe that. Do I think I am going to Heaven? I want to. I am working everyday to be a more faithful follower. I have issues: one being that I don't think I have time for certain sacrifices. Until I am able to truly humble myself and follow God's path for me....and not my path for myself....I don't know. My heart has the desire, but it's not always in the right place.
Jesus speaks about which commandments are the most important: Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. this is the first and greatest commandment. and the second is like it: Love your neighbor as yourself. Matthew 22 37-39
Jesus was telling the righteous that they will have a seat by his side. He told them that they did right by serving him. For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirst and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you cam to visit me. Matthew 25: 35-36
The righteous were confused...they did not recall doing any of this for Jesus. His response:
I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.
I tell you the truth, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me. Matthew 25: 40, 45
I'm reading this amazing book called, The Hole in Our Gospel by Richard Stearns. He rewrote the above in now a day terms: For I was hungry, while you ha all you needed. I was thirsty, but you drank bottled water. I was a stranger, and you wanted me deported. I needed clothes, but you needed MORE clothes. I was sick, and you pointed out the behaviors that led to my sickness. I was in prison, and you said I was getting what I deserved. (RESV- Richard E. Stearns Version)
In the same book Stearns mentions what he believes to me the 3rd most important commandment. It's not one written in the original law....it comes from the Great Commission spoken by Jesus.
Go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit. and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age. Matthew 28:19-20
We are told to go and spread the Good News. WHY IS THAT SO HARD? Why do I get sweaty palms working myself up to invite someone to church? Why is it so hard for me to tell someone how the reading of the Bible is changing my life? Jesus commands us to do it.....and yet again I disappoint time and time again!
Reading about the Death and Resurrection of Jesus over and over has been powerful also.
Moving onto Mark:
These people honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me. They worship me in vain; their teachings are but rules taught by men. You have let go of the commands of God and are holding on to the traditions of men. Mark 7:6-8
Powerful stuff! Jody has been preaching the series: Breaking with Tradition. He has had some awesome messages. I encourage you to pop on over and listen to these messages!
Whoever welcomes one of these little children in my name welcomes me; and whoever welcomes me does not welcome me but the one who sent me.
If your hand causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better for you to enter life maimed than with two hands to go into hell, where the fire never gos out. Mark 9:43-44
Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. I tell you the truth, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it. Mark 10:14-15
I found the Rich Young Man parable to be powerful. Children how hard it is to enter the kingdom of God! It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God. Mark 10:24-25
Why is this? The above verse actually sounds really harsh and scary. Most of the people.....if not all, who actually read this are considered rich in the standards of the whole world. That's us! In the Old Testament I was reading over and over about people worshiping idols....Carved objects....other Gods. I didn't understand how people could do that when God presented himself (in different ways) to these people time and time again....yet they rejected Him. He was practically begging them to follow Him. Then one day it clicked. All of the things that we idolize these days. All the things we put our energy, money and time into. Same thing!
And when you stand praying, if you hold anything against anyone, forgive him, so that your Father in heaven may forgive you your sins. Mark 11:25
I am working on this one. Praying for assistance. I always have thought of myself as a forgiving person...yet there are always thoughts that creep back in. I know that they are not the work of God...but from Satan. He loves to make us a head case!
End of times is also mentioned several times. I'm not really ready to blog about that yet. I hope to gain more understanding and hit that topic at a later time.
I loved the story of Jesus as a 12 year old boy being left behind by his parents and them not noticing for over a day that he was not traveling with them. When they got back to him 3 days later he was found preaching in the temple. When Mary told him how concerned she was he answered:
Why were you searching for Me? Did not you know I had to be in my Father's house? Luke 3:49
I wonder how hard it was for Mary. Knowing her little guy was not really hers. I struggle with that. I want to protect and control the life and environment of my children. I want to always keep them out of harms way and keep them healthy. But.....they don't belong to me....they belong to my Father. I am just entrusted with them.
It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance. Luke 5:31
Love your enemies, o good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. Do to others as you would have them do to you.
If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? Even sinners love those who love them. And if you do good to those who are good to you, what credit is that to you? Eve n sinners do that.
But love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them without expecting to get anything back. Then your reward will be great and you will be sons of the Most High, because he is kind to the ungrateful and wicked. Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful. Luke 6:27-36 (paraphrased)
I love the story of Mary and Martha. When I get caught up and stressed out in details and I decline fellowship I think of this story. Luke 10:38-42
If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him! Luke 11:13
Blessed rather are those who hear the word of God and obey it. Luke 11:28
I'm actually very happy that I had to do this over. It spoke to my heart differently this time.
Which...is exactly what God had planned, I'm sure. -nic
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment