Friday, July 16, 2010

Song of Songs

Songs of Songs was written by Solomon.  (It is also called Song of Solomon.)  It is a book that the Lord's name is never mentioned.  It seems there are many different views on this book.  This collection of songs written by Solomon's presents a beautiful and sacred beauty to love and marriage.  Many also feel it's a representation of Christ's love for his people or the church.  I could really dive into this....but one thing nags at me.....Solomon had like 700 wives and 300 girlfriends (1Kings 11:3).  Was this about one woman?  Was there one women that was his true love?

We are going to be studying this book soon in my Sunday School class.  I am very excited to dive into it more.  The two things I want to note now is:

I think the warning about sex before marriage is introduced in this book.

Daughters of Jerusalem, I charge you by the gazelles and by the does of the field:
Do not arouse or awaken love until it so desires.  Song of Songs 2:7

This is mentioned again in Ch. 3 and Ch. 8.

This book is very sensual and personal.  I loved this:
I belong to my lover,
and his desire is for me.
Song of Songs 7:10

B/c I don't really understand the origin of this book I am going to stop commenting on it right now.  Hopefully after starting the study at church I will be able to better interpret it.  -nic

No comments:

Post a Comment