Nehemiah learns of the devastation in Jerusalem and he is upset. The Promise Land was not in good shape. The wall were broken and gates were burned. Nehemiah prays to the Lord and asks him to remember the remember the things he told Moses.
(8) Remember the instruction you gave your servant Moses, saying, 'If you are unfaithful, I will scatter you among the nations, but if you return to me and obey your commands, then even if your exiled people are at the farthest horizon, I will gather them from there and bring them to the place I have chosen as a dwelling for my Name.'
He asked for strength to help His people.
So Nehemiah went to employer, King Artaxerxes, and asked him to support his return to Judah. The king agreed and sent men to support his journey.
He went to Jerusalem and inspected the damage. When he told of his plan to rebuild Jerusalem he was ridiculed. But Nehemiah knew the Lord was with him.
In Chapter 3 it tells how others pitched in and the hard work was underway.
On the website http://www.enduringword.com, a website that I often refer to when I want to dig in deeper, it says:
Today you can see in Jerusalem the remains of this Broad Wall - and broad it is, more than 20 feet (6 meters) wide. Critics had denied the accuracy of Bible history like this, but the archaeologist’s shovel constantly confirms the truth of the Bible.
How AWESOME.....let's take a field trip Julie! -nic
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment