I don't know if I am going to do this next few chapters justice. They went through a number of kings that ruled after Solomon. The Israelites were split between Judah and Israel. The kings of both were not at peace with each other.
So the kings of Judah were Rehoboam,Abijah, and Asa. The only one of those three that followed God's Law was Asa.
Israel's kings were Jeroboam, Nadab, and Baasha.. They all did evil in the eyes of the Lord.
There was bad stuff going on. People were not following the Lord's Commandments. There were statues built that people were worshipping and people were out for their own glory. God sent prophets to speak for him. The prophets were led astray also. People were going the WRONG WAY and God was not happy about it. Punishment was being divvied out. The wrath of God was in full force, yet it didn't seem like people really responded the way I would expect.
I try to understand the wrath of God. I have always seen God as a loving creator. I always ignored the "wrath of God" side of things. It's hard to ignore when you are reading the bible cover to cover.
I think I get it.
I love my kids beyond words. They are a creation of God through Ben and I. They are my life. But, when they do not follow the rules they must suffer the consequences. Usually that is a mild reaction on my part. Sometimes they get the "wrath of Nicole". I never stop loving them, but that does not change the fact that they have chosen the wrong path and there is a price to be paid.
When I am reading these chapters I want to scream to these biblical people, "SERIOUSLY PEOPLE!" "Don't you know who is taking care of you.....why do you go astray?" But wait. What are we doing? What does God think about modern society? We are self indulgent, selfish people. We don't follow the 10 Commandments. We are just like the Israelites. It makes me a little sick thinking about it. What type of wrath do we deserve?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment