Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Numbers 25-26

Ahhh...seduction.  In today's reading we learn a little about seduction.  The Israelite men began to have relations with the Moabites, who in turn seduced the Israelites in to worshiping false gods.  This, of course, made the Lord angry and He told Moses to kill all the leaders!  As this was going on, an Israelite brought a Midianite woman to the Tent of Meeting.  Aaron's grandson (Phinehas) took the teo and killed them both, which ended the plague.  I thought this was interesting and didn't quite understand why this ended it.  Luckily, the Lord explained.
He told Moses that Phinehas took away His anger toward the Israelites for worshiping these false gods; "for he was as zealous as I am for my honor among them, so that in my zeal I did not put an end to them."  Phinehas' actions made up for the sins of the Israelites and God made peace with him.  Now, however, the Lord was angry with the Midianites and instructed Moses to kill them because they had deceived Moses (and company) when the Israelite and Midianite woman showed up at the Tent.  I didn't quite understand this part, except for the fact that they all had something to do with seducing others in to worshiping false gods.  
The main point I took from this, is that God is zealous.  I looked this up to get an accurate definition and according to Webster's, zealous means filled with zeal, which means eagerness and ardent interest in pursuit of something.  I'd say that's accurate of the Lord. 
Today, we also read about the second census, in which the Lord gave land to all of the Israelites as an inheritance.  They also counted the Levites, but they were not granted any land.  It didn't elaborate as to why, so I'm hoping we get a little more detail in tomorrow's reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment