Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Feb. 9 - Numbers 5-6

I'm still pondering a few things in today's reading.  I'm going to have to think and research a few things.  I may come back and add things later....but here is what I have so far.

The Test for an Unfaithful Wife
This was a test about adultery and jealousy.  Husbands whom felt their wives were unfaithful were able to bring them to a priest and publicly stand before the Lord.  The woman in question was to drink bitter water.  If that water effects her body and health, she was indeed unfaithful.  If the water had no ill effect on the woman she was proven to be faithful to her husband and his jealous feelings were proven to be false.  Either way one of them would publicly be shamed for their actions.

(vs. 19)  "If no other man has slept with you and you have not gone astray and became impure while married to your husband, may this bitter water that brings a curse not harm you.  But if you have gone astray while married to your husband and you have defiled yourself by sleeping with a man other than your husband may the Lord cause your people to curse your thigh to waste away and your abdomen to swell.  May this water that brings a curse enter your body so that your abdomen swells and your thigh wastes away."  (meaning:  make you unable to bear children?)

Then the woman is to say, "Amen.  So be it."

But what if she was feeling unloved at home?  But what if it was in a drunken state?  But what if a co-worker understood her emotional needs more than her husband?  Nope....there was no question-answer period.  There was just, "Amen.  So be it."

Marriage has been a topic that has frequented many of my conversations lately.  I'm so excited to really dig in and see what is truly God's expectations for me and my marriage.  I truly believe that when I honor Him I will also be blessing myself, my husband, and my children.  

Today reading ended with The Priestly Blessing (vs. 24):

"The Lord bless you and keep you;
the Lord make his face shine upon you and be gracious to you;
the Lord turn his face toward you and give you peace."


Just what I needed!   -nic

No comments:

Post a Comment