Some standards of living were addressed in the next few chapters.
-The Israelites were told where they were to worship in the Promise land.
- It was repeated what they are allowed to eat. It reviewed clean and unclean meat. It is also stressed that the blood of the animal is restricted. I have been a little confused by the clean and unclean meat reading. I guess I wonder if eating pork is really a big deal in today's society. Does this restricted meat get a clean bill of health in our future reading? I'm serving pulled pork tomorrow at Alaina's birthday party.....is that sinful?
The Lord warned against false prophets, gods, and child sacrifice.
I found this verse 13:3 interesting. Basically it is said that you are not to listen to false prophets or dreamers of dreams for the Lord is testing you to see if you love Him with all your heart and soul. When do we come upon false prophets or dreamers of dreams? Fortune tellers, politicians, Oprah Winfrey? I'm NOT giving my opinion....just thinking?
How do we treat the poor? The way God would want us to? What has hardened our heart to those in need?
-We don't like how they spend the money or treat the items that are given to them?
-We think they should be doing more with their lives.
-We know that their debts will be written off so there is no need to give?
In 15:7-11 it says:
If there is among you a poor man of your brethren, within any of the gates in your land which the Lord your God is giving you, you shall not harden your heart nor shut your hand from your poor brother, but you shall open your hand wide to him and willingly lend him sufficient for his need, whatever he needs. Beware lest there be a wicked thought in your heart, saying, "the seventh year, the year of release, is at hand," and your eye be evil against your poor brother and you give him nothing, and he cry out to the Lord against you, and it become sin among you. You shall surely give to him, and your heart should not be grieved when you give to him, because for this thing the Lord your God will bless you in all your works and in all to which you put your hand. For the poor will never cease from the land; therefore I command you, saying, "You shall open your hand wide to your brother, to your poor and your needy, in your land."
I am so quick to judge people. I am now starting to think more about the judgement I will receive from God for the judging I do of others. Judgement that I deserve! -nic
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment