From yesterday I had a few thoughts.
My first question was about Exodus 34:19. In this passage God asks for His people to redeem their first born sons. It says, "The first offspring of every womb belongs to me." I'm curious on what that means. Were those children put to death so that they may enter God's Kingdom? Were those children led to become priests? What does that mean?
Also, I was thinking about the new radiant face of Moses. (34:29) I wondered what his opinion was of his new look. Was he proud of his new radiant look, or was he embarrassed? I suspect he didn't want others to be disturbed by his look and that is why he chose to wear a veil.
Okay, now to today's reading. Today was focused on the Sabbath regulations, the WILLING offering of the people, and the construction of the Meeting Place.
First: The regulation of the Sabbath was covered. God has already mentioned before the importance of keeping the 7th day for rest. In yesterdays reading he even mentioned that this must even be followed during the plowing and harvest seasons. (Coming from a farming area I know how hard that can be when crops need to get planted or picked.) This is the first time (I think) that he commands whoever works on the Sabbath must be put to death.
We then move into the offerings that were given to build the tabernacle, ark, alter and lamps. All materials for these things were to be WILLING offerings from the people. Willing was a word that came up a couple of times. It's really sticking with me. I wonder what percent of his people gave offering. No obligation, no pressure, how many people stepped up to the plate? Well, I don't know the answer to that....but I do know that Moses had to order them to stop bringing things b/c they ended up with more than enough to do all of the work. How often does that happen when we are asked to give willing offering these days? I hardly ever hear of organizations turning away volunteers or items b/c there are just too many.
Today's reading ended with the actual construction of the holy items. Now, I am not really interested in discussing the dimensions and details behind the items....but I did find one more thing in todays reading interesting.
God had two chosen ones, Bezalel and Oholiab, that he gave the skills, knowledge, and ability to perform all kinds of crafts. He also made them able to teach others. As I was reading about the abilities of Bezalel I was thinking of my husband, Ben. I never before recognized his ability to create and make almost anything as a God given talent. (I know, it should have been obvious....but never crossed my mind.) He really has an incredible gift of creating something in his mind, figuring out how to build or fix it, and then making it happen. I really think that Ben could have served in Bezalel's position.
The thought that is sticking with me today is: What other God given gifts am I overlooking? What are my God given gifts? What are my children's? My parents? My friends? Am I glorifying these gifts? Hmmmm, I have some things to think about. -nic
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment