The Israelites have seen time and time again that God will provide for them. Yet, they still complain. One thing I find interesting is they don't drop to their knees in prayer. It seems each time they need something they spend their time complaining and fighting about it. Hmmmm, does that sound like anyone you know? (I'm guilty!) So, b/c the Israelites complain to Moses he then cries out to the Lord. And in awesome fashion the Lord provides water for the Israelites.
Because the Israelites knew that Moses was in direct conversation with God they brought him all of their problems. Now, there are thousands of people seeking Moses' wisdom. Moses' father-in-law felt that it was wearing Moses out by serving as a lawyer, therapist, and confidant to all of these people. He talked them into appointing several judges to help him pass on what is good and right to the people.
Now it gets really exciting! Up until this time the Lord has been speaking to Moses. It is now time for him to address His people. He commanded them to meet him at the bottom of Mount Sinai. People prepared themselves to come towards this holy area. The day came.....there was thunder and lightning. There was a very loud trumpet blast. The people followed Moses towards Mt Sinai. It was covered with smoke. The trumpet sounds grew louder and louder and the mountain trembled violently.
Can you imagine how scared you would be?
And the people heard God speak 10 Commandments to them.
(Four commandments about our conduct before God and six commandments about our conduct before God and man.)
ONE: 'You shall have no other gods before Me.'
TWO: ' You shall not make for yourself a carved image--any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.'
THREE: ' You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain.'
FOUR: ' Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.'
FIVE: ' Honor your father and your mother.'
SIX: ' You shall not murder.'
SEVEN: ' You shall not commit adultery.'
EIGHT: ' You shall not steal.'
NINE: ' You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.'
TEN: ' You shall not covet your neighbor's house; you shall not covet your neighbor's wife, nor his male servant, nor his female servant, nor his ox, nor his donkey, nor anything that is your neighbor's.
ONE: 'You shall have no other gods before Me.'
TWO: ' You shall not make for yourself a carved image--any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.'
THREE: ' You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain.'
FOUR: ' Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.'
FIVE: ' Honor your father and your mother.'
SIX: ' You shall not murder.'
SEVEN: ' You shall not commit adultery.'
EIGHT: ' You shall not steal.'
NINE: ' You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.'
TEN: ' You shall not covet your neighbor's house; you shall not covet your neighbor's wife, nor his male servant, nor his female servant, nor his ox, nor his donkey, nor anything that is your neighbor's.
Wow, I can honestly say that I have never murdered someone or committed
adultery. Other than that, I'm sure I am guilty! Although Jesus is the only
perfect one that is able to obey all of God's commandments to their fullest,
I am so thankful that I have high standards to live up to! I would love to break
down the commandments more, but it has taken me all day to write this post.
I have a feeling that we will be visiting this list again later.
Okay, so God spoke the Commandments and the Israelites were freaking out.
They didn't want to hear from the Father anymore. They were so scared. They begged
They didn't want to hear from the Father anymore. They were so scared. They begged
Moses to be the "in between". They did not want to hear straight from God anymore. Moses answered:
"Do not be afraid. God has come to test you, so that the fear of God will be with you to keep you from sinning."
It doesn't seem like the people were too convinced.
It doesn't seem like the people were too convinced.
I bet I would be pretty freaked out myself. -nic
No comments:
Post a Comment