I'm back in my groove again. I'm still not blogging as often as I would like, but I am reading and feeling it. We are working our way through Isaiah.
Through his servant Isaiah, the Lord tells the people that they are the chosen people of God.
"I, the Lord, have called you in righteousness;
I will take hold of your hand.
I will keep you and will make you
to be a covenant for the people
and a light for the Gentiles,
to open eyes that are blind,
to free captives from prison
and to release from the dungeon
those who sit in darkness.
Isaiah 42:6-7
"Fear not, for I have redeemed you;
I have summoned you by name;
you are mine.
When you pass through the waters,
I will be with you;
and when you pass through the rivers
they will not sweep over you.
When you walk through fire,
you will not be burned;
the flames will not set you ablaze.
For I am the Lord, your God,
the Holy One of Israel, your Savior;
Since you are precious and honored in my sight,
and because I love you"
Isaiah 43:1-4
God did not want his people to focus on the past. He wanted them to move forward and focus on Him. How often do we get stuck in a rut of focusing on being angry or sad b/c of something that happened in the past?
Forget the former things;
do not dwell on the past.
See, I am doing a new thing!
Isaiah 18-19
The next passage talks about making idols out of things that make us feel good. I could give a million examples of things I do this with.
Half of the wood he burns in the fire;
over it he prepares his meal,
he roasts his meat and eats his fill.
He also warms himself and says,
"Ah! I am warm; I see the fire."
From the rest he makes a god, his idol;
he bows down to it and worships.
Here the person worships the wood b/c of all the satisfaction it has brought to his life. The wood is given the credit and praise. Now, I don't literally bow down and worship the items in my but there are many material things that seem to have some control over me. They take large chunks of my time and energy that could be used for God's Glory. This computer is a perfect example....Facebook.....Reality TV Shows.....I could go on.
What are your idols?
"Those who cling to worthless idols forfeit the grace that could be theirs." Jonah 2:8
Moving on...
"I have swept away your offenses like a cloud, your sins like the morning mist. Return to me,
for I have redeemed you." Isaiah 44:22
These later chapters are so refreshing (yet the Lord still sticks to his Law). It's tone is hopeful. I know that Beth Moore has a bible-study called Breaking Free and it is over these last chapters in Isaiah. Although I have not yet done the study, I am understanding the basis for it.
Even to your old age and gray hairs I am he, I am he who will sustain you. I have made you and I will carry you; I will sustain you and I will rescue you.
Isaiah 46:4
I think over the last year this is one thing that I have really learned and embraced. It has help me to realize that my time on earth is so small.....so short.....so unpredictable. I will live my best life here.....but in the end there is only ONE who can carry me. I can love my parents, my children, my spouse, my neighbors well.....but there is only ONE that can give me the life that I desire. The Lord is our only truth, way, and light!
If only you had paid attention to my commands,
your peace would have been like a river,
Isaiah 48:18
If I thought back to the times that my life was the hardest I would see that my heart was the farthest from the Lord. Not that I ever rejected him or cursed him.....I just didn't invite him into my heart and lean on faith. My need to control pulled me away from Him.
This is what the Lord says:
"In the time of my favor I will answer you,
and in the day of salvation I will help you;
I will keep you and will make you
to be covenant for the people,
to restore the land
and to reassign its desolate inheritances,
t say tot he captives,
'Come out,'
and to those in darkness, 'Be free!'
Isaiah 49:8-9
For the Lord comforts his people
and will have compassion on his afflicted ones.
Isaiah 13
The Sovereign Lord has opened my ears,
and I have not been rebellious;
I have not drawn back.
I offered my back to those who beat me,
my cheeks to those who pulled out my beard;
I did not hide my face
from mocking and spitting.
Because the Sovereign Lord helps me,
I will not be disgraced.
Isaiah 50:5-7
Who among you fears the Lord
and obeys the word of his servant?
Let him who walks in the dark,
who has not light,
trust in the name of the Lord
and rely on his God.
But now, all you who light fires
and provide yourselves with flaming torches,
go walk in the light of your fires
and of the torches you have set ablaze.
This is what you shall receive from my hand:
You will lie down in torment.
Isaiah 50:11
“Torment . . . is only found here but its verb . . . guarantees its meaning of grief, pain and displeasure - even the ‘place of pain’ - specifically the pains of sin under the curse of God.” (Motyer) www.enduringword.com
I want to control so many factors in my life. I am SO GOOD at telling myself to let the Lord guide my path....but the need for self control often wins over. That need....is the opposite of trust. But I don't know how to free myself from that. Prayer....I'm going to keep praying! -nic
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment