Monday, July 26, 2010

Okay....I think I am getting back on track.

I have been trying to dig into Isaiah and really GET what it's saying.  I'm reading from two different versions, the NIV and the Good News.  I usually use the NIV, but the Good News Bible's language is even easier to understand.  I'm still only at Isaiah 28, but I am getting a better feel for what this book is about.  I hope to be caught back up in a few days.

I asked my pastor for a little advice on how not to be discouraged while reading Isaiah....Here was his response to me.  I've read it several times and it helped me!

There is a "thread of redemption" (not my phrase, wish it was :-) that runs from Genesis through Revelation... God is forever blessing, and loving, and desiring that the precious people He created as objections of His affection would allow Him to love and bless them...But you're right, He also becomes angry... the anger of God is poured out mostly when He has lovingly pleaded and pleaded and pleaded with folks to turn away from what will destroy them eternally and turn to the One who can save them eternally (make sense?)...the "thread of redemption" (God pursuing lost humanity) is evident in Isaiah, Jeremiah (along with the other prophets too), we just have to look a little more intently for it.


So what I have so far from Isaiah is that he was a prophet sent to warn people that they need to turn back towards God.  He warned them of the destruction they were facing.  He was able to share hope with people when he informed them of the coming of the Messiah and spoke of man's salvation ONLY being possible through God.  Yet, people still chose of life of disobedience and corruption.  


In the chapters I have read so far it has discussed the punishment of corrupt nations.  Nation after nation were being destroyed for rejecting God.  For those that were faithful, they shouted out in song of praise.  They were no longer oppressed by powerful, evil nations.  


Interesting stuff:  people being punished and feeling "pain like a woman in labor" was mentioned several times.  It led me to go back to Genesis to reread the part when Eve was being punished for eating the forbidden fruit.  My question is......Are we supposed to feel the pain of childbirth?  Are we rejecting God path for us when we have painless births using Epidurals?  I know this has nothing to do with Isaiah.....but I'm curious???


Also, b/c I am learning as I go.....I don't know if God's grace given to us through the death of Jesus prevents future punishments of corrupt nations.  I once heard a TV Minister made a comment about Haiti's earthquake being a result of punishment to those people.  I was appalled when I heard that.  Now, I am reading about God's punishment of nations and I am curious.  I still have so much to learn!!  


-nic

No comments:

Post a Comment